THE MAJOR BENEFITS OF OLIVE OIL VS COCONUT OIL
You may have seen some coverage in the media about the adverse properties of Coconut oil, which is pretty hard to digest if you’ve been using it relatively abundantly in your lives. So, we’ve summarised the main reasons to switch it out of your life in favour of Olive oil (and we don’t even mention the flavour)
- Extra virgin olive oil out performs coconut oil in terms of lowering cholesterol and risk of heart disease. It has been shown to reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Read more about this here
- EVOO stabilises blood clotting, blood sugar and insulin levels. Read more how it can benefit those with type 1 diabetes here.
- EVOO is based predominantly on heart healthy monosaturated fat vs almost 90% saturated fat in coconut oil.
- The best EVOO contains 160 times more vitamin E and 120 times more vitamin K than coconut oil. Vitamin E is a valuable antioxidant that helps protect cells from the damage caused by free radicals (the compounds that form when we convert food in to energy). It is great for your skin, digestion, vision, reproduction and brain.Vitamin K plays an important role in blood clotting, bone metabolism and regulating blood calcium levels. It’s such a pleasure to be able to raise your intake of these two important vitamins via food rather than with a tablet.
- EVOO has a more complex set of polyphenols (36 different types) vs 6 in coconut oil but also a far higher concentration. Read more about polyphenols
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a smoke point of 207°C vs 176°C for coconut oil. This just means if you cook on a gas stove in particular, you can worry less about burning your ingredients. Read more about the smoke points of various oils